Tuesday 14 October 2008

Weird German foods: Marzipan Potato

Ok. Great. We have a new feature.

The best thing about Going Abroad is sampling the weird food that they serve there. Germany, although its cuisine has a modest international reputation, is no less blessed with funny little idiosyncrasies.

My challenge is: find as much odd stuff as possible, and then consume it.

Occasionally, I may even enjoy something.

So, a cursory perusal of the vending machine at Treptower Park Station revealed some worthy curiosities. On this recent occasion, I opted for Marzipan Kartoffel – Marzipan Potato. The main attraction to this was the picture on the wrapper. Apparently, the packet was full of raw, muddied potatoes. The appeal is obvious.

Strangely enough, I was actually rather surprised when upon opening the packet, I was confronted by a small collection of tiny filthy potatoes.

“How revolting” thought I, as I poked at one.

However, the taste was rather disappointing. The small ball of marzipan potato, turned out to be just a rubbishy, rolled up ball of marzipan.

That was it. No raw vegetable. No dirt. Nothing. Just familiar, boring stodginess.

So, yes. Rubbishy. Not a weird experience to be repeated. On to the next one!

No comments: