Sunday 14 December 2008

Germans going crazy at Christmas

The Germans are a restrained bunch. They are not ones for going over the top.

Celebrations come and go, there is no reason to go over-board. They'll be plenty more to come, Fritz, calm yourself.

This is the usual Germanic response to events that any self-respecting

Midetarranean would go balastic at.

No. The Germans are a cool lot. Most of the time, that is.

At Christmas, however, Germans go absolutely mental.

As I calmly walked out of my apartment yesterday, I found that, not only had the entire local constabulary closed the street to traffic, but my quiet little road had been converted into a biker’s Christmas procession.

The confluence of Christmas, music, bikers and the distant reassurance of half the Berlin police force, brought out a fervor in the Germans that I am never likely to witness again.

No comments: